Friday, February 4, 2011

You know you're a writer when...

Today I was back at work, and I felt a little twitchy. Everyone else had finished their lesson plans and grading. What did I do with my two days of freedom?

I WROTE FOUR CHAPTERS!!! And started this blog.

But I couldn't fight down the jealousy as the others talked about their free weekends and passed around high-fives for getting caught up. And it dawned on me that authors are more than passionate, driven people. We are also some of the bravest people I know.

We spend most of our time working alone on massive projects that may or may not ever receive any type of public acclaim. I tried sharing my snow day activities with some of my colleagues, but I got the same puzzled look I get when explaining variables to sixth graders. So, why do we continue on?

Better to ask: Why do we breathe?

3 comments:

  1. Congrats on your blog. I know what you mean. I spend a lot of my "free time" working on writing or tasks associated with it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I want to 'follow' the people who are following me, but I can't figure it out!!! Thanks to those of you who are following me and commenting on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Catherine, click through on your commenter's name. You'll be taken to their profile. If they blog, you'll be able to click through there.

    And Natalie, here's someone we know in common!

    ReplyDelete