Sunday, May 10, 2015

Gifts My Mommy Gave Me


Since this is a blog about writing. And this is also Mother's Day. I wanted to take a moment to tell you what my mother has taught me about writing.

She taught me that you should never give up on your dreams. Life is short and beautiful. God does not intend for us to be unhappy. If your dreams make you happy, then you should pursue them at all costs.

Whenever I did not have the resources- financial or emotional- for pursuing any of my dreams my mother would move heaven and earth to help me. She has never told me that I was stupid or unreasonable. When I told her I was an African American woman, she embraced me. When I decided to become Punjabi, she dressed in Salwar-Kameez and came to Vasaikhi Melas with me.

When I locked myself in my room to write, The Land of Sneezeitchrun, a sad tale of Allergy Sufferers, she read every word and told me it was wonderful. (It sucked.)

She sat in the front row of show choir performances, clapping her hand and smiling the widest smile, planned a multicultural 50th birthday party that rivaled many weddings, and planned my daughter's wedding because I don't have a left brain.

I could go on and on with tales of unfailing support, but she also taught me to be practical and work is calling. Mom, you know you are my heart and soul. Every good thing I am today is because of you. And, the fact that I dare to write in a world that has always told me I have no time and little talent, is completely because of you. Thanks for helping me build the castles.

Kitty Cat


No comments:

Post a Comment